Mike and I celebrated our 8 year anniversary yesterday! As we were eating dinner last night he said, “It seems like we have always been married but also that we were dating just a year or two ago”. Isn’t it funny how your brain does that? I think it’s because when you are super close to someone you feel them in every part of your life but time in general just goes so fast and the years can easily fly by. Especially when you are having fun!
One of my favorite quotes for Mike and I is from Game of Thrones (shocker, right? ha ha). It isn’t sappy or super deep but it is simple and true. Ygritte says to Jon Snow: “You’re mine and I’m yours. And if we die, we die, but first we’ll live.” It reminds that life is ultimately short and unpredictable and so we need to really live. We need to have fun, go on adventures, spend quality time together, talk to each other, and laugh.
I was thinking of all our “living” we have done over the past 8 years and decided to make him this fun video using flipagram showing some of our best moments. I used the song “Love Don’t Die” by The Fray which I am totally in love with right now and I think has great words.
He loved it! He watched about 10 times last night! And so did I. 🙂 And the greatest thing was that it was free! The other cool thing is that although we are not too big about sappy Facebook love professions, we were able to share it with our family and friends. Many of them have been part of our journey and many were in the video.
Which led me to think of some other inexpensive but thoughtful gifts that would be great for an anniversary. Here are my top 5:
1. Flipagram video – make a video of your wedding pictures, of all your adventures, of your favorite moments as a couple, or all of those things combined! Pick the perfect song (you can pick from theirs or use one of your own), customize it, and combine it all together. Then you can share it with your partner publicly or privately.
2. Make a mixed tape – well, maybe not a mixed tape but it is the same idea. Make a playlist or a CD that they can play in their car, at the office, or whenever they like and think of you. You could include favorite songs from when you were dating, or songs that you feel describes your relationship, or songs from all the concerts you’ve been to. There are a ton of possibilities and all are thoughtful and romantic.
3. Love Quotes – find a quote that you love for your relationship or that you feels describes your partner. It can be from a book, a song, a movie, the bible, or a historical quote. It can be long and sappy or short and sweet. Use PicMonkey, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher or any other program you like to design a print (or search google images for the quote you like and you can almost always find a pre-made printable). Then print it on your printer or at your favorite print shop and put it in a frame. One of the great things is that you can make it the perfect size for a special a spot on your wall, their office, night stand, etc. And since it is so in expensive you don’t mind switching it out when a new quote speaks to your soul.
Here are a few quote prints I have in our bedroom (f you click the picture, it will take you to a pdf of these four quotes that you can print out).
A few of my favorite quotes, besides the ones pictured above are:
“A thousand years go by but love don’t die” – The Fray
“No matter where we go
Or even if we don’t
And even if they try
They’ll never take my body from your side” – The Fray
“I have found the one whom my soul loveth” – Song of Solomon 3:4
“You’re pretty much my most favorite of all time in the history of ever”
“When I saw you I fell in love and you smiled because you knew” – William Shakespeare
Click here for a Pinterest Search that brings up lots of great love quotes. Many of them already designed and ready to print off.
4. Personalized Card – I am not a huge card person. They seem like a lot of money, usually with a cheesy message, for something that will get thrown away. One exception to that though, is a card that is very personal. One of my favorites I’ve seen is a card that says, “I have loved you for ____ days”. Isn’t that sweet? Write a a sweet note inside such as, “and each day I love you more”. The card alone is enough but it would be extra sweet on a mixed CD. 😉
To make a card like this, go here and enter the important dates and it will calculate how many days that is. Pretty cool right? I didn’t use our anniversary date, I used the date I knew I loved him and made this cute card using PicMonkey:
5. Personalized Coupon Book – no matter how thoughtful we are, it is really hard to keep up with the special extras. A coupon book offering there favorite “extras” is a great present. You can print a free book from I Heart Nap Time here with super cute coupons for all the standard items like breakfast in bed or a back massage. And while those are great and appreciated, I think it would be more special and fun to make ones that unique to you and your partner.
It’s funny how life and your priorities change because the things that would be special extras to me now are much different than what I would have liked 5 years ago. Some of the coupons I would love to get are:
For a night off from cooking dinner (and I don’t mean dominos)
Free from handling bath time – so I can just sit down on the couch and relax and watch whatever I want while some else takes care of getting two adorable little boys, who hate to have their hair washed, squeaky clean.
One morning where the house is quiet and I can sleep in – without feeling guilty. Of course the guilt part is on me. 😉
One free day, kid free to do anything that I want and come home to a clean house <— oooh, that sounds awesome!
What is it that your partner would enjoy the most? Would he love a day of watching football with no nagging? Would he love to have a guys night? Is there a special meal that he loves and you hate to cook? Whatever it is, make a coupon for that and make him feel loved and special.
Here is a free template (just click on the picture below). I would recommend printing it on cardstock to make them more durable. Then cut them out, write on your coupons and tie a ribbon around them to make a super special, super cheap gift!